Thursday, August 23, 2012

About Me

HI! I've always secretly wanted to be a blogger but have also always thought there's no way my life is interesting enough to write about. I thought maybe if someday I traveled to Europe or did something cool like get married (I'm an avid newlywed blog reader), maybe I could find more interesting things to write about. I also figured sometime here at KU I would have to create one in one of my journalism or design classes since blogging is one of the new up-and-coming forms of communication. Sure enough, this year in my BDS 101: Think and Make class in the design school we were asked to create a blog to document our projects, design inspiration, etc. So that brings me to now, and my reasoning for making this blog. I'll be updating posts about my thoughts/learnings from my design classes as well as with progress on my projects. Also, I hope to update it with my own thoughts, crafts, and learnings from everyday life.


Name: Allie Welch
Studying at: The University of Kansas
Class status: Sophomore
Current living arrangements: Chi Omega house at KU
Majoring in: Graphic Design
Minoring in: Journalism
Starbucks order: grande non fat pumpkin spiced latte with an extra shot
Currently listening to: Ben Rector
Favorite online shopping/browsing: Threadsence or ModCloth
Twitter: @allie_ann93
Pinterest: aawelch
My blog muse: Sincerely, Kinsley
Avid follower of Jesus, coffee, and KU basketball.





Sophomore year will be different and challenging, mostly because I just switched my major to graphic design. Don't get me wrong, I'm super stoked about it! Just worried about things like my drawing studio because I have no drawing experience. But this is an amazing opportunity to learn new things I  never thought I'd get training in. Not only that, but last year I missed having opportunities to be creative in my classes. After working as a designer for a university publication, JayPlay (an insert in the University Daily Kansan's paper, that they canceled this year) I realized that creative spice in my life is exactly what I had been missing. So in the new and frustrating times this semester promises to bring, I'm going to keep a level head by clinging to the truths I find in the Bible. This summer when working at Kanakuk one of the Psalms really stuck out to me and was one of my go-to verses for most of the summer:

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth."
Psalm 139:13-15

My goal for the year is to trust in those verses and that He made me perfectly. Part of that being my love for design, making things, traveling, and being creative.

With love,
Allie



No comments:

Post a Comment