Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Scott Schuman

My next project for Type class was assigned on Monday, which is to design three magazine spreads about a photographer of your choosing. We were given a list of different photographers to choose from, and I knew I was going to lean towards wanting a fashion photographer. After googling some of the different names of photographers I was interested in, I stumbled upon Scott Schuman, a street fashion photographer and blogger. I loved his work from what I saw on google, and luckily got to pick him as my photographer of choice. Since then I have researched him and his work a little more.

SCOTT SCHUMAN

What first researching Scott I was intrigued by his successful fashion photography blog, "The Sartorialist" which you can view here. This blog he started in 2005 has flourished into one of the most popular fashion street blogs, and here are some examples of photos he posts daily.








He began this blog "with the idea of creating a two-way dialogue about the world of fashion and its relationship to daily life." Schuman does a great job of not only capturing great fashion but also great emotions and great photographs along with the great fashion. Schuman's has also worked and photographed for GQ (in which he produced his own page each issue for four years), Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris, and Interview. He has also completed commissions for GAP, Nespresso, Absolut, and DKNY Jeans just to name a few. He has also produced photo books based on his work for The Sartorialist, starting in 2009 and has sold over 100,000 copies. 

This article I found on him  does a great job of showing how he progressed over the years as a photographer through his photos from his blog. It notes that while his eye for fashion has been sharp from the beginning, his quality of photos has really grown since he first started the blog. 

Scott Schuman attended Indiana University graduating with a degree in apparel merchandising and a minor in costume construction. Some of his other work throughout his career includes i
n 2008, he appeared as a model in GAP's fall campaign, which can be seen below. 


 He also contributed work to Burberry's "Art of the Trench" marketing campaign.
Tim described him as a modern day Bill Cunningham, and from what I've found that seems pretty accurate. I'm looking forward to researching even more about him for the rest of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment