Friday, January 31, 2014

incomplete manifesto for growth

For our type journal this week we read the Incomplete Manifesto for Growth by Bruce Mau, which I absolutely loved. It's one of those simple, but inspiring articles that I want to read every week. Or when I'm feeling frustrated and uncreative. 

Bruce Mau is a designer, author, institute founder, and more. He is the founder of Bruce Mau Design, wrote many things such as this manifesto and The Third Teacher. He founded Institute without Boundaries which is a post-grad design program inspired by his conviction that the future is calling for a new breed of designers. These are just a few of many of things that Bruce Mau has done.

In Incomplete Manifesto for Growth, the whole list includes many inspiring mantras, but my chosen one from the week is this:
"Don't be cool.
Cool is conservative fear dressed in black. Free yourself from limits of this sort."

This one popped out from the list to me because I thought the beginning was so clever: Cool is conservative fear dressed in black. I laughed to myself and loved it all at the same time because it's so true. "Cool" just means that a lot of people like it, which probably means its a little mundane and a little expected. This isn't true for all "cool" things, but I think its important to remember great design doesn't come from wanting to make something "cool". Which goes along with the second part of his advice, "free yourself from limits of this sort". Trying to make something that's "cool" is limiting yourself as a designer.  If you try to make something that a lot of people will like you might end up not making something to your full potential. Where is the creativity in making something popular among the masses? Probably not there most of the time. But these are just my thoughts after reading that quote. This week I'm going to not be cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For our type project my mood board style is "bold free spirit" and I wanted to share some of the images and creativity that has been inspiring me for the project so far.










|| HAPPY FRIDAY, TO YOU. ||

No comments:

Post a Comment